What is a Business Admin Trainee?
Business Admin trainees provide administration support across all industries. Every organisation, large or small, needs people to process their paperwork, attend to telephone and reception enquiries, use a range of computer software and generally support the other parts of the organisation.
What kind of work do they do?
- Sort and distribute incoming mail; dispatch outgoing mail, both electronic and hard copy
- Prepare business letters, reports etc. using word-processing programs
- Answer telephone enquiries from customers, assist visitors and other staff in the organisation with their enquiries
- Operate a range of office machines such as photocopiers, computers, and fax machines
- Undertake other duties such as banking, data entry, invoicing or assist with payroll functions
How do I get into this occupation?
Complete a Business Admin traineeship. Usually, you will need at least Year 10 with good results in English and Maths, and have some aptitude for working with computers. You may be able to start this traineeship while you are still at school.
How will I know if it’s for me?
You will enjoy juggling multiple tasks at the same time, be able to exercise discretion and judgement over things like confidentiality, have an eye for detail, and be confident in your ability to use modern office technology.
You may provide technical advice and support to a team in a larger organisation, or work independently in a very small business. The ability to interact with a diverse range of people is important, especially if you are dealing with clients, and you should be comfortable in an “in-doors” environment.